When people ride a bike, it is often seen as a fun and entertaining activity. This may be whether it’s for transportation, leisure, or exercise. However, it is important to remember that they can be dangerous as well. This is because bikes offer riders little to no protection from the other hazards that may be out on the road, such as automobiles. That is why bike riders should be careful at all times while they are riding.
The month of May is National Bicycle Safety Month, which is a good time to remind bikers of the steps they can take to make sure they are staying safe on the road. It is because of this that our New Jersey personal injury firm created a list of simple ways that bikers can protect themselves. Continue reading below to learn more.
- Ensure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. It is important to be sure that a bike is in good condition before it is ridden. This includes checking the brakes to be sure they are working, filling the tires to the correct air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. In addition to this, bikers should use hand signals in order to keep an accident from happening with other vehicles.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets can save a bike rider’s life. While any helmet will do the job, it is best to use one that meets the standards of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC).
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. All bike riders must follow the rules of the road, just like other drivers. This includes abiding by traffic signs, traffic lights lights, not riding under the influence, and much more.
- Make yourself visible. This can be done by wearing bright colors so other motorists can see you. If you are riding at night, reflective gear should be used so you can be seen in the dark.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Accidents can happen for a variety of reasons. However, you should be doing everything you can to prevent them, including paying attention to your surroundings at all times.
These are all good tips that can help you stay safe while out riding a bike. However, accidents can happen even if you implement every safety tip possible. It is because of this that if you are involved in a bike accident due to negligence, you may recover financial compensation for the damages you incurred as a result. When pursuing legal action, be sure to retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney for help.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.