Car accidents occur often and can result in serious injuries. If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, this will mean speaking with the responsible party’s insurance company. Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with. As a result, it is important to be educated and go into any conversation prepared. Read on to learn more about what to expect when speaking with insurance adjusters.
What to Know Before Speaking With Insurance Adjusters?
- Do Not Accept the First Settlement Offer
- First offers from insurance companies are often unfair and purposefully low. Insurance companies are aware that car accident victims are vulnerable and need to pay certain damages, which is why they will offer a low settlement. However, if you accept a settlement that is too low, you may not be able to cover all of the damages, including medical bills, lost wages, damages to your car, and more. It is important to note that companies may begin to ignore you if you do not settle right away. This is a delay tactic to push past the statute of limitations. It is important to note that the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in New Jersey is generally two years from the date of the accident.
- They Will Try to Avoid Paying Medical Expenses
- In an effort to try and minimize a settlement offer, insurance companies may suggest that you are lying about your injuries or trying to commit fraud. Be sure to keep copies of all records of doctors visits and follow-up treatment to defend your claim.
- Anything You Say Can Be Used Against You
- Insurance adjusters want you to agree with their version of events, which is why they will ask a variety of questions. Do not provide a recorded statement or sign agreements until speaking with a personal injury attorney.
- Never Sign Anything Without an Experienced Lawyer
- The fine print on any document is important. However, it is often overlooked. Do not sign away your rights to pursuing additional damages or filing a lawsuit. Be sure to have an attorney look over all documentation before signing.
Dealing with insurance companies can be incredibly difficult. As a result, it is important to have the support of a skilled personal injury attorney. Contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney today.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.