The supermarket does not seem like a particularly dangerous place, but it can be more hazardous than you realize. Read on to learn more about grocery store accidents in New Jersey.
How do Grocery Store Accidents Occur?
There are a number of ways for a grocery store accident to occur. The most common causes of grocery store accidents include:
- Spoiled food
- Falling debris or falling merchandise from shelves
- Poor pavement conditions
- Poorly positioned floor mats
- Slippery entrances, exits, and floors
- Aisle obstructions
- Unstable displays
- Inadequate security
- Broken or defective grocery carts
- Insufficient lighting
What Kind of Accidents Occur From Grocery Store Accidents?
When grocery store accidents do occur, they can cause serious injuries, such as:
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractured skull
- Fractured legs
- Fractured hips
- Head wounds
What do I do if I Am Injured in a Grocery Store Accident?
If you are injured in a grocery store accident, there are some important steps you should take. Make sure to:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Take pictures and videos
- If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw the accident happen, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Be sure to ask for their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention
- It is important to go to the hospital right away. Going to the hospital will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simaltaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney
- Reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
- File in time
- In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years can mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident in New Jersey, our firm will advocate for you. We will fight to recover the compensation you need and deserve in order to heal. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.