Many people have a fear of flying. But, in reality, you are more likely to become injured in the airport than on a plane. Read on to learn more about airport accidents in New Jersey.
How do Airport Accidents Occur?
Airports have a number of different amenities and see thousands of passengers a day. As a result, there are many ways for an accident to occur. The most common causes include:
- An injury at baggage claim
- Slip and falls resulting from wet floors, restaurant spills, etc.
- On trams, escalators, and other transportation systems
- Airport construction and remodeling projects
- Curbside accidents: shuttles, taxis, etc.
- Parking lot accidents: poor lighting, potholes, etc.
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. Essentially, this means providing the court with proof that your accident occurred as a direct result of another party’s negligence. To do this, be sure to:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene- Take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention- It is important to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Know your state’s statute of limitations- In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. But, when the airport is government-owned, you will likely need to file a Notice of Claim. This will notify the government or municipality that you are taking legal action. Missing these important deadlines will mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. Do not let this happen. Reach out to an attorney right away.
If you have been injured in an airport accident, our firm is here to help. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.