According to the National Highway Traffic Administration, car accidents happen every 60 seconds. Because car accidents happen so often, it is important to be prepared and to know what to do if you are involved in an accident. Read on for more information about car accidents in New Jersey.
What Causes a Car Accident?
Any number of factors can cause an accident. For example, bad road conditions, dangerous weather, and faulty car parts can cause an accident, but for the most part, car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a few very important steps to take.
- Call the police. The police can help direct traffic around the accident, take witness statements, and conduct chemical tests.
- Seek medical attention. Car accidents can cause serious injury and it is important to seek medical attention even if you don’t feel like you’ve been hurt. In some cases, you can be injured without realizing it, or sustain an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. Make sure you document any damage to your car and the road and weather conditions that may have had an impact.
- Seek the help of an experienced car accident attorney. When it comes to car accidents, it can be difficult to recover compensation. As a result, you will want to retain the help of a skilled car accident attorney who will help you fight to receive the compensation you deserve.
- File your claim in time. For the most part, in New Jersey, you will have two years from the date of the accident to file your claim. If you fail to file in time, you will likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident, contact our firm today. We are here to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.