According to a report from the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. More than 42,000 people are estimated to have died on U.S. roadways last year, the largest motor vehicle death tally in 13 years. This comes as a surprise to many, considering COVID-19 has lead to stay-at-home orders, travel restrictions, and other rules that would limit the number of cars on the road. Regardless, it is important to know how car accidents occur and what to avoid.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents can occur for a number of different reasons, including inclement weather, poor road conditions, and faulty car parts. But, the majority of accidents are caused by driver negligence. Some common forms of negligence:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What Do I Do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
- Call the police. The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. Make sure you document any damage to all cars and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information, as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention. One of the most important things you can do is go to the hospital immediately after an accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- File your claim in time. For the most part, in New Jersey, you will have two years from the date of the accident to file your claim. If you fail to file in time, you will likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
If you have been injured in a car accident in New Jersey, you will need the help of an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney. Contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your personal injury matters.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.