For the most part, trains are a safe mode of transportation. But, accidents do occur, and when they do, they can cause serious injuries. As a result, it is important to know more about how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about train accidents in New Jersey.
How Do Train Accidents Occur?
Train accidents can occur in a number of different ways. Often, accidents are a result of:
- Sudden stops
- Turnstyle injuries
- Operator negligence
- People being dragged under the trail
- Electrical injuries due to malfunctions
- Obstructed walkways
- Doors closing too soon
- Robberies and other criminal activity due to poor subway security
- Poor lighting
- Trip and falls in the stations or on the platform due to ice, snow, or any other hazardous conditions
Most Common Injuries Sustained From Train Accidents?
Train accidents can be serious and may cause life-altering injuries. The most common injuries sustained include:
- Back injuries
- Burns or dismemberment
- Traumatic head injuries
- Internal injuries
- Death or paralysis
- Ligament, tendon and muscle injuries
- Bone fractures or breaks
What Can I do to Recover Compensation?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to do so, you will have to provide proof that your accident was caused by negligence. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, help injured passengers, file an accident report, and more.
- Documenting the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtaining witness contacts: You may want to swap contact information with other passengers, as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. You should go to the hospital even if you do not feel you have been seriously injured. This is because you may have sustained an injury without realizing it. Additionally, this will allow you to obtain proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a train accident in New Jersey, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.