As the weather gets warmer, pools will start to open. Swimming is a favorite summer activity, but it can be dangerous. As a result, it is important to know how to keep yourself and your loved ones safe, and what to do if an accident does occur. Read on to learn more about pool accidents in New Jersey.
What Precautions Should I Take this Summer?
In order to stay safe around pools this summer, it is important to take the following precautions:
- Do not leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are capable swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Stow away any portable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Always swim sober
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
What Should I do if a Pool Accident Occurs?
All property owners have an obligation to keep their grounds safe. This is especially so when they have a pool. If a pool owner does not take proper precautions, serious injuries can occur. In this case, the pool owner may be considered negligent and held responsible. In order to prove negligence, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: It is important to take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. Doing so will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney right away
If you or a loved one is injured in a pool accident this summer, you will need a skilled attorney on your side. Reach out to our firm to discuss your case today.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.