Some people love to go shopping. Others can’t wait to leave the store. Regardless of how you feel about a shopping trip, it is important to be aware of the hazards. Department stores are more dangerous than you may realize, and accidents happen rather often. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about department store accidents in New Jersey.
How do Department Store Accidents Occur?
When it comes to department stores, there may be more hazards than you realize. Just a few examples of these hazards include:
- Spilled liquids
- Uneven walkways
- Escalators/elevator accidents
- Poor lighting
- Unsafe parking lots
- Construction hazards
Who is Responsible for a Retail Store Accident?
If you are injured in a store, you may be wondering who is responsible for your injuries. In New Jersey, retail store owners and the staff they employ owe their shoppers a duty of care. This means that they are required to maintain the property conditions at all times so they do not become hazardous and threaten the safety of shoppers. In order to do this, employees are expected to conduct routine inspections and fix any dangers immediately. If an accident occurs because the store owner or employees failed to maintain the premises, the injured party can pursue legal action for damages.
How Can I Prove Negligence?
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to prove that the store owner or employees acted negligently. In order to do this, be sure to:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and obtain witness statements.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, ask them for their name and phone number. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Document the scene: It is important to take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek medical attention: You should go to the hospital immediately after your accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a department store accident, contact our firm today. We will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
We understand the impact a serious injury can have on an individual’s life. If you have been injured in New Jersey due to another party’s negligence, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and guide you through your legal options. Contact our firm today to learn how we can help.